I like to work with Sublime Text because of the many packages and simplicity. You can customize the applications in almost any way possible: color schemes, packages, settings and short cuts. And with the plugin SublimeLinter-php it is even possible to see your PHP errors before you save and run the file!
I had recommended Sublime to my colleague, however he is working on Windows which does not provide PHP out-of-the-box. And this is required for the SublimeLinter-php plugin to work. Even when you have installed it, it may not work. Therefore I have written this short tutorial how you can make the plugin work at your Windows computer. Mac users: You only have to follow step 3 through 7. By default, the Mac is friendly for this plugin.
- Download the desired PHP version: http://windows.php.net/download/
- Unzip the files into C:/PHP/
- Open Sublime.
- Press CTRL+SHIFT+P
- Enter Install Package and choose Package Control: Install Package
- Enter SublimeLinter and click on enter to install.
- Do the same in step 5 and 6 for the package SublimerLinter-PHP.
- Open Preferences -> Package Settings -> SublimeLinter -> Settings – User
- Change in the paths key “windows”:  to “windows”: [“C:/PHP/”]
- Save the file and restart Sublime.
Congratulations! SublimeLinter-php also works for you now (make sure you set the syntax to PHP). How can you find this error?:
- Install the packages.
- Enable debug output (Tools -> SublimeLinter -> Debug Mode)
- Restart Sublime.
- Press CTRL+`
- You can see all the debug information including the following error:
SublimeLinter: cannot locate 'php'